Stroke Prevention Clinic
The goal of the Stroke Prevention Clinic is to provide early access to multidisciplinary assessment, diagnostic testing, treatment, and referral for patients who have been identified at high risk for stroke.
Who should come to the Clinic?
The Stroke Prevention clinic is for patients who have experienced a Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA) – “A Mini Stroke” or a mild, non-disabling stroke that does not require hospitalization.
What can the Clinic offer me?
The Stroke Prevention Clinic may provide:
– Prevention services (diagnostic testing)
– Risk factor assessment
How did I get referred?
Your family doctor or the doctor who saw you in the emergency department sent a referral to the clinic. You will be contacted within 2 to 3 business days of receiving the referral. If you were told you have been referred and have not been contacted, please call the clinic.
Will I need any tests before coming to the clinic?
Your family doctor or the doctor who saw you in the emergency department will send the clinic copies of any tests that you may have had done. Arrangements may be made for you to have pre-clinic fasting blood work at the hospital diagnostic centre or another preferred laboratory setting.
Who will I see at the Clinic?
You may meet the following Stroke Prevention Clinic staff:
– Stroke Prevention Specialist
– Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
– Registration Clerk
– You may be referred to other members of the health care team
What will happen at my visit?
Clinic visits may include:
1. neurological assessment
2. medical and surgical history
3. blood pressure
4. height and weight
5. waist circumference
6. review of diagnostic test results
7. risk factor identification
8. patient and family education
9. treatment plan
How should I prepare for my visit?
1. bring your health card
2. take all of your regular medications on the day of your appointment
3. bring all your current medications in their original containers
4. bring a copy of any recent blood-work and/or test reports (i.e. CD, X-rays) if they were done at other hospital
5. your spouse, family members or a friend are welcome to come with you to your appointment
6. your appointment will take approximately 1-2 hours
7. the clinic is wheelchair accessible
201 Georgian Drive, Barrie, ON L4M 6M2
Stroke Prevention Clinic RN, 705-728-9090 ext. 46310
Fax Number 705-728-3039
1 Hospital Court, Room 700, 1st Floor A-Wing, Oshawa, ON L1G 2B9
Stroke Prevention Clinic RN, 905-576-8711 ext. 3756
10 Trench Street, Richmond Hill, ON, L4C 4Z3
Nurse Practitioner, 905-883-1212 ext. 7228
596 Davis Drive, NewMarket, ON, L3Y 2P9
Nurse Practitioner Shah Guangxia Meng, 905-895-4521 ext. 6269
327 Charlotte Street, Peterborough, ON K9J 0B2
705-740-6888 ext. 236